Saturday, September 15, 2007

Boating adventure, or not!

My parents are at Felker Lake again this weekend camping. The weather is so hot, Mike and I headed out there today in my convertible for a visit and a boat ride. My 2nd cousin on my Mom's side, lives just a few houses away from the campsite they are at and when I arrived this afternoon, he was visiting them. He didn't stay long because he had a birthday party to go to. I enjoyed a cup of coffee and then we went out on the boat with the tube. Mike calls the tube Air Head. Mike was thinking that his grandpa wasn't driving the boat fast enough for him, so grandpa decided to take a big turn and make a huge wave with the boat. A huge wave he made, so huge that Mike got air and went flying off the tube and skipped like a rock on the top of the water 3 or 4 times. I'm freaking out because I think Mike will panic since he landed in the lake. Grandpa is thinking the same and turns the boat around super fast, my mom falls up against the side of the boat; ouch, she hurt her ribs. And there is Mike swimming his way back to the boat in his life jacket. He wasn't at all freaked out. By this time I have calmed down, my dad is checking on my mom and I'm pulling Mike back into the boat. The poor boy was shivering because the water was very cold. After that he decided that he had enough tubing. So, we went back to shore. My mom decided that she was Ok and didn't want to go into town to get checked. I'm sure she'll have a nasty looking bruise by morning. Mike made the fire and roasted marshmallows and drank hot chocolate. We came home for supper. So, that was our boating adventure, or not.

On another note, I am looking at buying a used clarinet for Mike as he is joining the band this year. I now have 2 to look at on Monday and then I'll decide which one is the better instrument. I am hoping the one that is less expensive will work out, but either way they are both a really good deal. Sure beats renting one. Renting one in WL is very expensive. I checked into renting one from a different company and their price was much more reasonable, but I'd have to pick it up or pay shipping costs. I am so excited that Mike wants to join band. He's very keen and I'm sure he'll do well.

2 comments:

Robyn Jones said...

It's still hot enough there to go camping? It still gets hot here during the day, but it is cold out at night...

Sandi said...

My parents have a camper van with a nice warm heater, so they can still camp when it's cooler out. It gets too cold during the night now for me to camp in a tent. My parents ended up coming in that night because my mom's ribs were bruised and she was in pain. She went to the hospital and got checked out: no fractures or breaks. Thank goodness!