Monday, December 15, 2008

It's Cold out there

Saturday was our annual Food and Toy Drive at my work. I almost didn't make it on time to volunteer because the Jimmy was frozen shut. I did manage to arrive right at the beginning and stayed to the end. Despite the cold weather, there was a good turn out. We ended up with 4 truck loads of food and toys for The Salvation Army. It was also nice to see so many donations come in since the economy is so bad. Especially because we are a forestry and mining town.

Saturday was my staff party. We had a nice meal and danced to a live band called One Foot Under. We left early because we didn't want the truck to freeze up. I was fine with that because...I am getting old and don't like to be out late anymore.

Sunday was still cold out there. I decided to make a huge ham for dinner and invited my friend Judy and her husband Rick over for dinner. This was an early Christmas dinner for my kids because they are not going to be home for Christmas. We let the kids open their gifts from our family. They were very happy. Sean and I decided we would wait to open our gifts until Christmas Day. Dinner turned out great. It was nice to have friends over. It doesn't happen that often because of our busy schedules. Rick & Judy will be going to Maple Ridge for Christmas, so this was our last chance to have them over before they leave. I'm going to send a package with them and Judy has agreed to deliver it to my sister. Turns out her son lives only a few blocks away from my sister.

I woke up early this morning so that I could make sure the Jimmy was going to start. Which, it did. I made sure the kids had all their snow gear. I am stressing to my kids that they have to wear snow pants even though they think they are too cool to wear them. It was -30ยบ C when I left the house. I was surprised that the school buses were running. Usually when it's cold like that they don't run. I had an appointment to get the studded tire put on the Jimmy, so I dropped it off at the tire shop and walked 2 long cold blocks to work. I'm not looking forward to the walk back at lunch time. I was all bundled up with my toque, scarf, gloves and snow pants. It's cold out there. I get to the office and it's cold inside. The water heat cannot keep up with the cold. Luckily I have a small space heater in my office. 3 hours later it's starting to warmup in my office. I looked on the weather network and it looks like it's going to be cold all week. Brrr...it's cold out there!

No comments: