Sunday, February 24, 2008

She is gone

Some of my closer friends might know that my "Other Mom", Maryann passed away on Friday after a lengthy battle with cancer. I met Maryann when I was only 2yrs old. That's when Robin (her daughter) and I became friends. So, Maryann was like a mother to me. That's why she is my "Other Mom". Growing up as kids she would take us to basketball practice after school. We took many a trip in her yellow car, that we called The Egg Beater. When the family moved away, the summer before Robin and I were going to grade 8, I was devastated. But that was OK because I would save up my money and visit often. She would pick me up in New Westminster, so I wouldn't have to change busses along the way. She even picked us up at the train station in Vancouver. When I was a teenager, my sister decided to date my best friend's older brother and they were married in 1993. I must admit at first I was jealous my sister would now be related to my best friend and her family. Robin and I had thought up many ways for us to be related when we were younger, but marrying one her brothers just was out of the question. They picked on us girls when we were younger. Her older brother even shot our soup one day with his be- be gun. So, it was very sad to hear that Maryann passed away. The even sadder part is the fact that I live so far away ): My sister sent me a poem she found that helps her family deal with the loss of their Mom and Grandma. If anyone else has stories, pictures or poems to share on my blog, I'd be glad to post them.

1 comment:

Robyn Jones said...

Sorry to hear about Robin's mom....are you going to the funeral?